Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Reminder on Life and Death

Caution:  This might be too heavy for some on a Monday morning. 

I was reminded this past weekend about the meaning of life and death.  The vice-principal of my children's school passed away on Friday.  She was also a friend.  Her death felt sudden, because it was only a little over a month ago that she was diagnosed with a cancer that she would lose her fight to.  I won't go into the details of it all but, it was very shocking and sad to me and to our school community.  As sad as this all is it was a good reminder of who really is in charge of life and death and it is not us.  As I was driving into work this morning I thought about how we get so caught up in our own lives that we forget that our lives will come to an end someday.  The fact is, we will have little or no control when it does happen.  I am sure Fran didn't intend on dying now.  She had so much to live for, children, grandchildren, friends and a community who loved her. 

God's timing and our timing is not on the same page usually. 
Going Home 

I don't mean this to be depressing but, it is a truth we all must face. We shouldn't live afraid of death though! I think it is important to know that death will come and we should LIVE our life!  Life is short and precious and I know that I get too focused on the little problems of life instead of the little joys of life.  It is really the little joys that make this life so beautiful.  For me personally, maybe I should worry less about if the kitchen is clean and go sit and play with my children.  In the end it is not going to matter how many dishes I clean but, what I will leave behind through my children and hopefully grandchildren. 

I truly believe that God does not want us to walk around in fear of death.  He wants us to live our lives to the fullest and leave a legacy of love, peace, mercy and compassion.  Last night as I sat at her wake, I realized that is exactly what Fran did.  She left in her "wake" oceans of beauty, laughter and love.  Isn't that what we all should do? 

I want to embrace life more and her passing helped me to see that.  I live in too much fear.  I need to embrace life more and have less fear.  Life is too short for fear. 

I know Fran is in heaven now with God and she is being rewarded for a life full of service to Him and to His children.  I hope the same for all of us when it is our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment