Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Healthy Heart is a Happy Heart

February is Heart Health month.  This month has me thinking more than just about how Mark makes my heart happy :-)  The truth is Mark and I really don't celebrate Valentine's Day because our wedding anniversary is 2 weeks later, so we celebrate that.  Besides, shouldn't we show the ones we love everyday how much we love them; but I digress... 
Just a few weeks ago my father-in-law had bypass surgery and that got me thinking more about what is means to take care of yourself, especially your heart.  Heart disease is something that doesn't happen overnight.  It can take years for problems to arise.  What's important is, if we make changes now, we can do our best to try and avoid problems in the future.  For me personally, I want to do the best I can to take better care of myself now so, maybe I can enjoy life better now as well as in the future. 
Here are some health tips I hope you don't mind me sharing with you. 
1.  Diet - a diet rich in lean meats, veggies and fruit will go a long way in keeping you healthy.  Think about how our ancestors used to eat...they weren't stopping at McDonalds or any other of the fast food places out there to eat.  Believe me, I am very guilty of getting fast food, instead of cooking healthier foods but, I am trying to change!
2.  Exercise-  that goes a long way in not only having a healthier body but, a healthier mind as well.  I am finding the more I exercise, the better I feel not only physically but mentally.  That is a positive for anyone!
3.  A good supplement full of Omegas.  I'm not talking about something you can buy off the shelf at Costco or Walmart.  I'm talking about one that you can be confident is coming from the best sources of fish, pure and a pharmaceutical grade.  Unfortunately when you buy from chain stores, it can not be sure of the quality that you are getting. I would recommend Shaklee's OmegaGuard .  With OmegaGuard, you can be confident of the quality of supplement you are getting.  You should always do your research though before taking any supplement to make sure you are getting all that you are paying for and doing what is best for your health.
4.  Laugh!  I don't know if there are any studies that laughter helps to make a happy heart but, it can't hurt.  I know that I find myself being too serious but, when I take time to laugh with my kids or friends, I feel much better!

1 comment:

  1. Laughing at oneself is even better....I frequent this....man oh man...how my life is different that I ever thought it would be....love your post Allison:-) Much Love & Blessings Lori

    ReplyDelete