Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Back put me in Time-Out!

I should be starting Week 5 of P90X this week but, instead I am lying in bed right now with an ice pack on my lower back.  Remember my back yelling at me last week?  This week is told me to sit down and shut up!  I visited the chiropractor yesterday and he told me I have a pinched nerve.  Ugh!?  Really, doesn't my back know I am in the middle of an exercise program?  Doesn't it know that I have children I have to pick up?  My back obviously didn't get the message but, it is sending me one loud and clear, "You need to take better care of me!" 
I thought I was taking good care of my back, I have been strengthening my back muscles, my core, losing weight, I guess I still have some weak spots.  I was warned though.  My lower back was really tight a few weeks ago.  I tried stretching it but, not as much as I should have.  I think what sealed the deal with my back was doing tuck jumps during Fire 60.  I knew I probably shouldn't have been doing them but, my pride got in the way and I did it away.  Guess what?  I can't do anything now until this heals.  The moral of this story is to listen to your body.  There are times you should push your body and times you shouldn't.  There is good pain and bad pain. I knew the difference but, did it anyway. 

So, what am I going to do for now and I heal?  I was thinking about eating Ben & Jerry's but, I need to do better by myself.  What I have started doing is going through a great book called "Push" by Chalene Johnson.  She happens to be the creator of Beachbody's Turbo Jam, Chalene Extreme and my favorite, TurboFire!  This book is about health and fitness but, it is more than that.  This book is about how to set your priorities and goals your life.  This book teaches you how to make your goals become a reality without sacrificing the priorities in your life, such as family, yourself, etc.  I am only on day 2 and I look forward to seeing how this helps me.  I need some focus in my life, sometimes I feel like I am on a runway train! 

I will tell you one very important goal I have right now:  My back be healed and in the process not undo all the work that I have done to get me to this point!  Have you taken a look lately at the priorities in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment