Monday, June 4, 2012

Choice Challenge for June

When I was driving into work this morning I was listening to a local talk radio station.  The host was speaking to a Dr. about obesity in our country.  He spoke about how 1/3 of Americans are obese.  He talked about how we need to get our children out to play and not sit inside playing video games are watching tv because we are not helping our children by doing that. 
Then, awhile later a read an article in the newspaper about WWJE (What Would Jesus Eat).  The title was kind of silly but made sense.  The article discussed how Jesus would have eaten and if there were drive-throughs in the 1st century, Jesus wouldn't have "super-sized" it on the way to giving a sermon.  Jesus also walked ALOT.  The premise of the article was about how in the 21st century we have lost the spirit of moderation.  The word gluttony is not used anymore.  What we do physically will effect how we are emotionally, spiritually, mentally.  They are all connected. 
I have heard most of this before but it is good to be reminded.  This may sound cliche but it is true, "You are what you eat".  I am not saying to not enjoy something decadent or sweet but, don't sit down and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's (I know because I have done it more times then I can count).  It also made me think of the example I am setting for my kids.  Do I want them to develop the bad eating habits I have, but am I going to do something different?  Am I going to show them how to love themselves by showing them how to take care of their bodies or am I going to teach them my bad habits so they struggle with making the right food choices?  I don't want to go down the rabbit hole with this but, I think we all understand what we eat DOES effect our self-image (I think this is especially true for women). 
So this month I am going to challenge myself to set a better example for my family on what I put into my body.  I am going to be more conscience of this, not only so I can be healthier but, my kids can have a better example of how to take care of themselves. 
Who would like to join me in this challenge?  If you don't have kids, you can still do this.  Challenge yourself to take better care of yourself.  This isn't about losing weight, this is about making better choices so we can participate for fully in the life that God has given us.  Weight loss will be a natural "side-effect" of eating healthy and exercising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment